Shakespeare with Young People
‘This is a fantastic course. It's been fun and challenging at the same time but always keeps you motivated.’
‘The course has helped me grow as a performer but also as a person. Working in a group as well as individually to high expectations has pushed me to limits I didn't think I could achieve. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and would really recommend it anybody who loves a challenge.’
The workshop will present ideas to create fast paced, dynamic realisations using drama, music and dance with young people. We will develop work concerned with answering the questions:-
Do we understand the story?
- Story and dance theatre techniques to make the plot clear
How do we speak the verse?
- Ways into speaking the verse through physicalisation
How can we create inventive soundscapes and music for the play?
- Ways of creating original music and/or sourcing relevant popular tunes
How do we stage the extracts to make meaning clear?
- How can proxemics be used to establish situation and character
How do we establish character and motivation?
- The use of status to reveal relationships
Do we need a concept?
- Ideas for unifying the different groups of characters
How can we organise such a large cast?
- Ideas for scheduling a production
How do we play the comedy?
-Is it funny?